Kokomo Fire Department | Kokomo Scanner LLC

Kokomo Fire Department

The Kokomo Fire Department was formed in 1867. At that time the department consisted of volunteers that used a bucket brigade. In 1892, the first paid fire department was formed and Ed Shauman was named Chief. Shauman commanded a force of four firefighters.

The first fire station was located at the corner of Walnut and Union. The equipment on hand consisted of a horse drawn rig, 200 feet of hose, three axes, and five helmets. The department was not motorized until 1916.

The Kokomo Fire Department today is a 112 member career department. It provides fire protection to all of Kokomo and Center Township. It also provides EMS engines within the city limits and responds to hazardous material incidents throughout Howard County.

station1


Images and information courtesy of Kokomo Fire Fan

©Kokomo Scanner 2018     
   http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php